John H. Tinney Jr.
John H. Tinney Jr.
Admitted to practice in 1995, Jack Tinney worked in private practice for three years before serving as law clerk to the Honorable Robert B. King on the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. Following his clerkship, Jack joined the United States Attorney's Office for the Southern District of West Virginia. While an Assistant United States Attorney, he prosecuted a variety of cases and represented the United States before the Circuit Court of Appeals. At The Tinney Law Firm, Jack has continued to represent a variety of diverse clients in federal and state courts, including the defense of the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia in constitutional challenges to the court's trial court rules and Judicial recusal proceedings.
Jack is a cum laude graduate of Washington & Lee University and Wake Forest University School of Law and a Barrister in the Judge John A. Field American Inn of Court.
Areas of Practice
- Business Litigation
- General Civil Litigation
- Federal Criminal Defense
- Insurance Coverage/Bad Faith Litigation
- Professional Liability
- Product Liability
- West Virginia
- U.S. District Court Southern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court Northern District of West Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- Wake Forest University School of Law, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- J.D. - May, 1995
- Honors: Recipient of the Bennett Liverman Scholarship
- Washington & Lee University, Lexington, Virginia
- B.A. cum laude - 1992
- Major: History
- C & O Motors, Inc. v. General Motors Corp., 323 Fed. app. 193 (4th Cir 2009)
- White v. American General Life. Ins. Co., 651 F. Supp. 2d 530 (S.D.W.Va. 2009)
- Weirton Steel Corporation Liquidating Trust v. Zurich Specialities London Ltd. (N.D.W.Va. 2008)
- Mid State Surety Corp. v. Thrasher Engineering, Inc., 575 F. Supp 2d 731 (S.D.W.Va. 2008)
- State Exrel. Nationwide Mutual Ins. Co. v. Kaufman, 658 S.E.2d 728 (WV 2008)
- Massey Energy Co. v. Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia (S.D.W.Va. 2007)
- United States v. Sanders, 2006 WL 1222695 (4th Circuit 2006)
- United States v. Sanders, 2004 WL 1908299 (4th Circuit 2004)
- Norfolk Southern Railway Co. v. McGraw, et al, 2003 Wl 21958324 (4th Cir. 2003)
- Ameribrom, Inc.
- American Re-Insurance
- Crowe Horwath, LLP
- Emst & Young
- Grant Thompson LLP
- Hartford Financial Services Group
- In Bev
- Schering Plough, Inc.
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- Teva Pharmaceuticals
- Zurich Specialties London, Ltd.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- West Virginia State Bar, 1995 - Present
- West Virginia Bar Association, 1995 - Present
- American Bar Association, 1995 - Present
- Kanawha County Bar Association, 1995 - Present
- West Virginia Defense Trial Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Judge John A. Field American Inns of Court, Barrister, 2002 - Present
- Federal Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Southern District of West Virginia, Assistant United States Attorney, 2000 - 2002
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, Hon. Robert B. King, Law Clerk, 1999 - 2000
- Spilman, Thomas & Battle, PLLC, Associate Attorney, 1995 - 1998